Our founder Shri Nagappa ji Hampali is in Dry Chilli industry for past 55 years as a traders. He is admired and respected in Industry for his knowledge and experience. His purchase decision are based on reports which includes sowed area, crop conditions, yield predication, weather, farmer sentiments, demand expectation etc.
Whats we have achieved till today?
- With inspiration from our founder, in year 2017 we set on our journey to digitize Dry Chilli data to help us to make accurate purchase decision.
- We initially started with very small set of data which was for the premium Byadgi chilli of Hubli area which accounts for 15-20% of Karnataka yield.
- In first 3 years we focused on Hubli area for tracking arrivals/yield, climatic condition etc. With our learnings, in 4th year we were able to scale it for pan Karnataka.
- We presently have 5 years of Karnataka Dry Chilli data and we have built our own custom Business Intelligence Software named “Hukum” to efficiently handle the data.
- Also from year 2021 we also started analyzing weather data which now is also integrated into our Hukum software.
- In year 2023 we also started tracking of Dry chilli for Andhra Pradesh, Telangana and Madhya Pradesh, with these new additions we will be able to cover 90% of Indian Dry Chilli market.
How we can improve?
- We feel climatic/weather data will be a game changer and their is lot room for us to innovate.
- We feel combing skills of weather scientist with agronomist in Hukum will unlock a great value.
How accurate are we?
Whatever we do at SpiceExtra, we try to cross check them. Like our crop reports, before market arrivals we bring our reports on public forum like Linkedin and News paper like BusinessLine and then at end of season we check it with yielding.
Below is our monthly crop tracking for Karnataka 2022-23
- December month arrivals are mostly of Hubli and Bellary area, due to cyclone rainfall from 11/12/22 to 13/12/22, Hubli area arrivals had got delayed by 7-10 days. December month weather was good for crop, Bellary and Raichur area crops are performing exceptionally well.
- January month weather was good for crop, Bellary and Raichur area crops are performing exceptionally well. Climatic condition is ideal with high cold at night and hot in afternoon. Compared with last year Bellary crop is delayed by 3-4 weeks. For this year we can expect a long season with arrivals till end of April against last year’s march 3rd week.
- February month weather was good for crop, Bellary and Raichur area crops are performing exceptionally well. Climatic condition is ideal with high cold at night and hot in afternoon. Compared with last year, Bellary crop is delayed by 4-6 weeks. This delay is because of 1 month late sowing and another 2 weeks due to good climatic condition where 2nd picking new leaves have grown fast, hence farmer will pick both 1st and 2nd picking at once.
- March month weather was average for crops, Bellary and Raichur area crops are performing well. Other than 2 days of rainfall and a week of cloudy conditions, climatic conditions were good for crops.
Below image tells monthly arrivals of Dry Chilli to market for last and this year.
As with above image you can see that this year crop is late. Compared with last year, where we had 30% of yield low quality(white medium), this year its less than 5%. We are working with weather scientist and Agronomist to make our predication more accurate.
You can check our montly dry chilli report below
SpiceExtra is a platform for Research and Development(R&D) initiatives in Dry Chilli. It will focus on Digitizing – Price and Arrivals, Crop survey, Assaying and Branding. Check us at www.SpiceExtra.in