Karnataka, is known across world for growing high coloured dry chillies. Major area’s are Hubli, Bellary and Raichur. Varieties are Byadgi / KDL, Dabbi, Syngenta 5531, Syngenta 2043 and others.
|Area||Sowing period||Harvest period|
|Hubli||June – July||November – March|
|Bellary||July – August||January – April|
|Raichur||July – September||February – May|
Karnataka area Rainfall in 2022-23.
Karnataka Market arrivals in February 2023.
February 2023 Summarized
- Major arrivals were Byadgi / KDL, Syngentha 5531, Syngentha 2043 and Devanur Deluxe(DD).
- Compared with last year, arrivals is 40 % less but last year we had 20% of arrivals of white colour(very low medium), this year its just 2%.
- This year total arrivals of colour medium and top quality is 30% less than last year.
- February last week Byadgi / KDL price was 48,000 and Syngentha 5531 was 22,000. Prices from 1st week of February to last week saw increase of 20% for Syngentha 5531 and for Byadgi / KDL saw a rise of 15%.
- Compared with last year, Bellary crop is delayed by 4-6 weeks. This delay is because of 1 month late sowing and another 2 weeks due to good climatic condition where 2nd picking new leaves have grown fastly, hence farmer will pick both 1st and 2nd picking at once.
- February month weather was good for crop, Bellary and Raichur area crops are performing exceptionally well. Climatic condition is ideal with high cold at night and hot in afternoon.
- Our data tells us to compare 2022-23 with 2020-21 and not with 2021-22, as in 2021-22 their was complete washout of bellary area.
- For this year we can expect a long season with arrivals till end of April against last year’s march 3rd week.
February SpiceExtra Updates:
Every year we bring out a Handbook on Byadgi Chilli(Click to download) to do its branding. This year we are doing a video showing how a mother and Indian Spice Companies are serving world with the finest Masala products using Byadgi Chilli. The video will be launched on World Environment Day – 5th June, 2023 #RedGoldOfIndia
We Invite Spice / Masala Companies to collaborate with us on this video. Together, towards building BrandLocalByadgi. BrandLocalByadgi stands for Aroma, Colour and Organic.
SpiceExtra is a platform for Research and Development(R&D) initiatives in Dry Chilli. It will focus on Digitizing – Price and Arrivals, Crop survey, Assaying and Branding. Check us at www.SpiceExtra.in